[Qt-creator] Possible to view output from arbitrary diff commands?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 06:18:10 CEST 2014

Hi, I think theres a limitation in QtCreator regarding its ability to
view diffs.

User Story
======

While working on a change I often keep a diff open (which I can
quickly refresh with a key-binding).
This makes it easy to keep track of chances and can be a nice way to
navigate if the changes span many files (also If I work on a patch
later on - the next day or so).

Thats fine, but what I've found is the changes may get too big, so I
better work in a Git branch, or do an incremental commit.

However after this -  there is no fast way to bring up a diff with
origin/master. I can do this from the Git branches dialog, but its a
bit of a hassle an even if I keep the dialog open, the selection I
have is lost once viewing the diff.

QtCreator Diff Feature?

Is there some way to either...

- Customize the diff command so I can setup a key binding to diff
between branches.
- By default, diff against master rather then the changes to the branch?

It could be useful to add the ability for an external command to have
its output loaded in a diff view, this way it would be very flexible.

--
- Campbell