[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 3.1 Slow Debugging on OS X 10.8

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Thu May 22 15:18:55 CEST 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Adam Light <aclight at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Michael Jackson <imikejackson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I am trying out the QtCreator 3.1 release for OS X (10.8.5 with Xcode
>> 5.1.1 Tooling and Xcode 5.1.1 5B1008 Command line tools) and debugging is
>> extremely slow. By this I mean that I set a breakpoint in my code and it
>> hits that code quickly. But then getting the "Locals and Expressions" to
>> populate is another 15 seconds and then trying to scroll the list is
>> another 10 seconds to start. Disclosing the "this" variable on my QWidget
>> derived class takes another 10~20 seconds. THis is unbearable. I did not
>> have this issue with QtCreator 3.0.1 on the same system.
>>     I believe I have everything setup to use the LLDB on the "System"
>> (/usr/bin/lldb). I am debugging a self built Qt 4.8.5 application. This on
>> a 2009 Mac Pro with 8 Real Cores, 32GB of Ram and an SSD.
>>
>> Is this normal for this system? Is it the LLDB support? Is anyone else
>> seeing this problem?
>>

> We have the same problem when debugging our application except that we're
> using OSX 10.9.2 with a self build Qt 4.8.6 and 5.3. I'm pretty sure that
> we also had the same problem using Qt Creator 3.0.1.
>
> I'll check on Monday whether André's suggestion improves performance for
> me.

To follow up on this, I made the change to lldbbridge.py suggested by André
and I haven't noticed any improvements in debugging speed on OSX 10.9.

Are others using 10.9 with lldb to debug a relatively large project
(something on the order of Qt Creator itself) not finding the speed of
debugging pretty disappointing (I'm comparing to the speed using XCode 5 on
the same machine with largely the same source code and using Creator with
cdb on a Windows machine with the same Qt based project).

Adam