[Qt-creator] Debug on Remote *Windows* Device using MinGW

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at theqtcompany.com
Tue Mar 3 10:08:38 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 09:53 PM, Denis Shienkov wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I want to debug a remote Windows device, using the MinGW. The both
> HostOS and Target OS is Windows.
> I know about the option "Attach to Remote Debug Server" in QtCreator,
> but this option is unaceptable to me,
> because I has not a direct access to the target PC. I want to use
> something similar to "Generic Linux Device",
> but for Windows. The reason is that the target device has not a
> keyboard, mouse, and has the small displays
> with the high resolution.
>
> I tried following:
>
> * Install the Qt5.4 (MinGW) on remote PC.
> * Install the FreeSSHd (it is a free SSH server) on remote PC.
> * Install the Cygwin (it is to emulate a Unix env) on remote PC.
> * Create a new "Remote Generic Linux" configuration from the local
> QtCreator.
> * From the FreeSSHd  settings I specify the Cygwin's bash.exe executable
> as the shell.
> * Trying to connect to remote PC via Putty to ensure that the SSH works
> correctly.
> * On a remote PC, the  Qt5.4, MinGW, Cygwin are passed to the global
> PATH env.
>
> But all attempts to debug are fails.
>
> First issue - it is that "Check for fre space" fails with error:
>
> "
> :-1: error: Unexpected output from remote process: "df: unknown option -- n
> Try 'df --help' for more information."

This and all the following problems you mention indicate that you are
using a RemoteLinux type of kit. You simply can't expect this to work
for a Windows host. *Maybe* you can force it somehow with a lot of
tweaks, but you are really on your own here.

 > Third issue - even to do copying of target executable to the remote
 > PC manually (and to delete the upload steps), then then this also
 > fails with the messagebox:
 > "Adapter start failed
 > Initial setup failed: Remote process failed; exit code was 2

Surely there's some stderr output somewhere?

Christian