[Qt-creator] Frequent crashes of QtCreator 3.5.1 on mac

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:01:57 CET 2015

Comments in-line

> On Oct 26, 2015, at 4:23 AM, Ziller Eike <Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com> wrote:

>> I've seen crash reports on this mailing list referring to QtCreator 3.5.0, but I'm experiencing even more crashes now that I've updated to QtCreator 3.5.1 and Qt 5.5.1. I'm using OSX 10.11, and the Qt 5.5.1 open source edition and the QtCreator 3.5.1 that comes bundled with it.
>>
>> Qt Creator crashes randomly, sometimes every fifteen or so minutes, sometimes only once or twice a day. I've attached the OSX crash reports and one OSX hang report that were generated, so hopefully the cause of the crash can be determined.
>
> Some of these are known (FunctionHintProposal, though only some people seem to be affected), and should be fixed in 3.6. The others are crashes in the code model and probably triggered by some specific code of yours. You might want to
> - try a Qt Creator 3.6 snapshot (http://download.qt.io/snapshots/qtcreator/3.6.0-beta1/latest/), and

I try them daily. While the crashes seem less the editor is becoming so slow as to be unusable. 5~10 seconds to offer a suggestion. Constant spinning beach ball on OS X when typing in our projects.

> - try to find out if the code model crashes when opening specific files in your project, or triggering completion for specific items, reproducibly, and the create a bug report for the specific issue.

And if I found a specific file now what? Our project depends on Boost, Qt, Qwt, ITK, Eigen & HDF5. As software developers you guys want a small reproducible case for your testing. As a software developer utilizing a bunch of other libraries we can be overwhelmed trying to figure out just _how_ to start pulling apart our codes to reduce it to something small.

Again, I am not trying to complain or bash QtCreator. These are just passionate pleas for help getting QtCreator running just as solidly on OS X as on Windows and Linux. Just as a question, how many of the QtCreator developers run OS X FULL TIME as their PRIMARY development environment on OS X?

—
mike jackson