[Qt-creator] Creator UI, MDI vs SDI, tabs, etc.

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:17:43 CEST 2015

Ziller Eike wrote:

> Yes, it behaves like splitting, just opening a new window.

Makes sense, I guess. It would probably make less sense when opening a not-yet-
opened document directly in a new window, esp. not if that ever becomes an
optional default behaviour. In that case it would conflict with the possibility
to keep the main window for the navigator and (maximised) output panels.

> A .ui file is just another way for setting what kind of layout some UI should
> use, but that is independent from whether that layout is dynamically taking
> font sizes into account or not.

So setting the font via the .ui file (using the Designer or otherwise) never has
the effect one might expect?

> It means that Qt Creator was quitting while these processes where still

Why yes, that's fairly obvious. What's much less obvious is why it would quit
almost as soon as I start it, before I even see a window.
I'd use a debugger to break on the location where the QProcess error is printed,
but the issue has been unpredictable until now, and it would require me to
rebuild at least QtBase with LTO (which apparently produces shared libraries
without debug information on OS X).