[Qt-creator] Building Qt Creator and QBS separately

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:54:18 CEST 2016

On 25/04/16 09:27, Christian Kandeler wrote:
> On 04/23/2016 04:40 PM, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
>> I tried building QBS with:
>>
>> qmake-qt5 qbs.pro \
>>    QBS_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
>>    QBS_LIBRARY_DIRNAME=lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX
>
> You also need "CONFIG+=qbs_enable_project_file_updates" here if you want
> Qt Creator to build against this qbs later.
>
>> and then Qt Creator with:
>>
>> qmake-qt5 \
>>    IDE_LIBRARY_BASENAME="lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX" \
>>    LLVM_INSTALL_DIR=/usr \
>
> You mean QBS_INSTALL_DIR?
>
>>    QMAKE_ARGS+=QBS_INSTALL_DIR=/usr \
>>    CONFIG+=qbs_enable_project_file_updates \
>
> You don't need this config option for building Creator.
>
>>    qtcreator.pro
>> make
>> make install INSTALL_ROOT=$PKG/usr
>>
>> but in both cases QBS is built during Qt Creator built, so the
>> pre-installed QBS is not used.
>
> It should be, unless you really said LLVM instead of QBS on your command
> line.

It seems that before I have mixed and passed to QBS build, what should
have been passed to QTC build and vice versa.

I have now built QBS with:

qmake-qt5 qbs.pro \
   QBS_LIBRARY_DIRNAME=lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX \
   QMAKE_CXXFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
   QBS_INSTALL_PREFIX=/ \
   CONFIG+=qbs_enable_project_file_updates
make
make docs
make install INSTALL_ROOT=$PKG/usr

and QTC with:

qmake-qt5 qtcreator.pro \
   IDE_LIBRARY_BASENAME="lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX" \
   QMAKE_CXXFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
   LLVM_INSTALL_DIR=/usr \
   QBS_INSTALL_DIR=/usr
make
make install INSTALL_ROOT=$PKG/usr
make docs
make install_docs INSTALL_ROOT=$PKG/usr

and now it is correct, that is Qt Creator uses the pre-installed version
of QBS:)

Now I have a small issue. When I start Qt Creator, I receive the message:
WARNING: Plugin path '/usr/lib//qbs/plugins' does not exist.

I guess that I still mess something with QBS_LIBRARY_DIRNAME and/or
IDE_LIBRARY_BASENAME there is something missing? Please advise. I'm on
x86_64.

Almost there, thank you very much :)

>> Any further pointers?
>
> void *p, *q.

I'd rather prefer storage of known size.
And I'm not sure, if those will take me further or back ;)

Lesson learned: never ask programmers for pointers, because you might
actually get one ;)

> Christian

Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski