[Qt-creator] What is the Deployment step doing on Windows desktop, and how can in be configured?

Julius Bullinger Julius.Bullinger at asctec.de
Fri Aug 12 09:57:01 CEST 2016

I noticed that there are some new options in Qt Creator since 4.1 (maybe 4.0?) concerning deployment.

*         There's a setting "Always deploy project before running it" in the Build & Run settings

*         There's an option "Run Without Deployment" in the Build menu

However, I didn't find an in-depth documentation/explanation for these options.

Now, I understand what they do on Linux, and how they work for Device Creation/Android/Mobile apps. But what exactly is their purpose on Windows desktop? Do they run windeployqt by default, or do they call [mingw32-,n]make install after building? Or are they doing nothing by default?

In the past, we used a deploy.pro file which was included in release builds only. In this file, we had several INSTALLS directives for the files we want to deploy, and a call to windeployqt.exe for Qt library deployment.

We then needed to manually add an additional deploy step to call make install in the project's Run settings.

Is this still the preferred way? What has changed with the integration of the new deployment options? Is there a way to configure them on a per-project basis?

Thanks for your help,

Julius