[Qt-creator] QtCreator Extensions Documentation

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Mon Aug 22 19:55:34 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 01:42:46PM +0200, Marcel Gotsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m currently developing a "Go" language extension for the QtCreator,
> including syntax highlighting, projects, auto complete, integration of
> the build tools and more.
>
> I’m really a big fan of the QtCreator in preference over any of the
> Java-based IDEs, but I find it rather difficult to develop a good
> plugin, since there seems to be no documentation at all. Currently the
> only way is to look at the source code of other plugins, which isn’t
> that great. It really slows down the development process.
>
> That’s really unusual, considering that the Qt documentation is so
> awesome.

Documentation writing is a tough business and doesn't come for free.

There are a few orders of magnitude more people interested in Qt "user"
documentation than there are people extending Qt Creator, so it makes
much more sense to put effort into Qt Documentation than into
documenting Qt Creator internals.

> Is there any way to get a better documentation about the classes and
> methods? Is this going to change in the future?

Given the cost/benefit ratio: Unlikely.

Having said that, developing a Go plugin for Creator should be fairly
straightforward nevertheless by looking at the smaller existing language
plugins, specifically the ones for GLSL, Python and Nim. The interesting
bits are covered there, and they are only 2 or 3kloc each.

Andre'