[Qt-creator] System manual for qt creator

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Tue Feb 16 10:24:11 CET 2016

> On Dec 19, 2015, at 14:59, Petrov Gennadii <gen.izh at yandex.com> wrote:
>

> Hello, qt-team!
>
> I have some questions...
> 	• where i can read about the architecture of the project qt creator(class diagrams, sysmanual, etc)?

There is not much, but a bit of information (e.g. about the plugin architecture) can be found here:
http://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qtcreator-extending/extending-index.html
A little “helloworld” plugin that adds some menu item, can also be found in the qt creator code repository,
http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/tree/src/plugins/helloworld
There also is a “Qt Creator Plugin” wizard in Qt Creator itself.

http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/tree/README.md

> 	• Can i use qt creator for own needs and recreate logo, icons, main menu etc ?

Technically: The core plugin shows a basic UI with an edit mode (but without any actual editing capabilities), a search output pane (but without any actual searching capabilities), and basic menu items that one would expect for a basic editor. You can try and see for yourself with “qtcreator -noload all -load Core”. Any other functionality comes from plugins.
To change anything else, you’ll need to change code.

Regarding licensing I am not a lawyer, so better contact one before starting to create any work based on Qt Creator! A short and incomplete and potentially wrong summary is:
Most of Qt Creator 3.6 is licensed LGPL, with some 3rdparty components that tend to be MIT- or BSD-style licensed. Basically that means that you need to make all modifications to the code that you do public.
Qt Creator 3.7 and later will be licensed under GPLv3 (aside from above mentioned 3rdparty components), which basically adds the requirement to publish the code for all derived work as well.

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Principle Software Engineer - The Qt Company GmbH