[Qt-creator] QtCreator 4.0: Where did my color icons go

Portale Alessandro Alessandro.Portale at theqtcompany.com
Mon Mar 7 12:30:28 CET 2016

From: Qt-creator [mailto:qt-creator-bounces+alessandro.portale=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org] On Behalf Of Mike Jackson
Sent: Friday, March 4, 2016 7:43 PM
To: qt-creator at qt-project.org
Subject: [Qt-creator] QtCreator 4.0: Where did my color icons go

<rant>
I just compiled QtCreator 4.0 and what a surprise. It seems as if the QtCreator team seems to have followed everyone else in UI design lately and tossed out 30 years of Human Computer Interaction design. Namely, you tossed colorful icons to go with a flat mono-chrome color palette. I do not understand where this comes from? We programmers have been fighting and waiting for years to get able to have high res icons that can convey information quickly and when we get that capability all the UI designers seem to have just given up on the concept. Color conveys information quickly. It lets the human brain decipher information with less effort than a monochrome palette. Numerous experts in the field have written at length about this issue and where the UI design is going and just how wrong it is. I urge the QtCreator team to at least include a theme that retains the colorful icons from QtCreator 3.x in the 4.0 release. It is not too late.
</rant>

Let me put forth a very direct example. If you drive a white car and you park that car in a parking lot with 1000 other white cars of the same type (say 4 door passenger style cars), when you come back out to get in your car, unless you parked your car in a very specific spot (first or last) your brain needs to work much hard to remember exactly which car is yours. Now imagine your car is red, in that same lot of 1000 white cars. Finding your car is instantaneous.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the feedback. Do your comments refer to the state before or after this change: https://codereview.qt-project.org/147723/ ?
Best Regards,
Alessandro