[Qt-creator] Qt Creator Sharing Project Configurations

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Tue Nov 22 10:01:57 CET 2016

On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 08:27 +0100, Christoph Mathys wrote:
> Hello Tobias
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Tobias Hunger <tobias.hunger at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Is there a global (readonly) place to store this information?
> >
> > Yes, there is. SDKtool puts the information there (from QtC binary:
> > ../share/qtcreator/QtProject/qtcreator IIRC).
>
> Looks promising, I might go down that road instead of tinkering with
> the users profile. Might give me less maintenance work in the future,
> assuming that sdktools CLI does not change much.

The SDKtool is bare-bones and does require knowledge of a lot of implementation
details, so it is usually best to set up something via the UI, check the .xml
files that are generated and copy the values from there into SDKtool
invocations. But the Qt installers use it and changing the invokation there is
troublesome, so it has been stable so far:-)

> After a quick glance I've some more questions:
> - Is it possible to configure cmake from sdktool? How? (custom cmake
> binary location, use it in kit)

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-17290 is about exactly that:-)

Till those patches land you will need to set specific keys, which is rather
inconvenient (but possible).

> - Can I enable and configure plugins and editor settings for
> QtCreator? Right now, as you might have guessed, I just edit
> ~/.config/QtProject/QtCreator.ini for users.

Qt has user- and system settings, where the user settings override the system
settings.

IIRC the system settings are in the place indicated above, so if there are
settings files in that place they should be used -- provided the user did not
override individual settings before.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B