[Qt-creator] more granular deployment from cmake project?

Rich von Lehe rhvonlehe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 23:13:58 CET 2017

I was wondering if it would be possible to change the functionality of Qt
Creator. Currently, in the Deployment settings, there is no way to avoid
deploying *every* target that is created in a CMake project. For example,
if I create an executable and a bunch of unit tests - all of those targets
are deployed. If one of the targets has not been built, then I am not
allowed to debug the others, because the deploy step requires every target
to be deployed. Say for instance I want to debug my main application and I
don't want to build all of my unit tests, I am unable to. I must build all
unit tests and deploy them in order to satisfy the deploy step even if all
I want to do is run/debug my embedded application.

Alternately, I could use the Debug menu bar item
(Debug->StartDebugging->AttachToRunningDebugServer, but I have not been
able to get gdbserver to start automatically using that method.

I'm using 4.5RC1.

My thought was that the deployment would be perhaps tied to what is
selected in the lower-left side in Qt Creator - just above the Play green
triangle.  If you have selected Debug under Build and under Run have
selected one of the targets for the remote device, then the deployment
would key off of that.  Or - make it possible to select which target(s) to
deploy similar to how you can choose which targets to build in the Project
settings via the checkboxes available in Build Steps.