[Qt-creator] RubyCreator upstream or not upstream

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Thu May 4 10:45:10 CEST 2017

> On Apr 8, 2017, at 10:12 AM, Tobias Hunger <tobias.hunger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Hugo,
>
> I would personally like to see a ruby plugin: I like ruby and
> occasionally have to do small changes to ruby projects. Eike is the
> one to make that call though.

Actually I’d say the call to make is one of the maintainers taking it under their responsibilities.

> This is not a decision of "in or out": We could also set up a
> repository on our infrastructure and add that into the public Qt
> Creator super repository (see here:
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/gitweb?p=qt-creator/qtc-super.git;a=summary
> ).
>
> Your plugin gets a bit more visibility that way and will be part of
> the build of more developers. That already helps with the "we break
> stuff all the time and do not even notice" problem:-)

Yes, we recently set this up, with the goal of creating a lower-barrier entry point. When more things are in qtc-super, and more people are using it, this should help to better keep up with API changes.

> Ideally we would even build the plugins (provided they do build at the
> time) to avoid the hassle of creating plugins that are compatible with
> our Qt Creator binaries. We have plans for that, but as far as I
> understand the problem we will need to get Qt Creator into the Qt CI
> first. So this is not happening anytime soon.

Actually this is only partially true. We could do that with some work without having Qt Creator in CI.
But there currently _is_ work ongoing to get Qt Creator into CI, so we can better share resources, and this will happen soon(ish(tm)).
When we have solved the issues of getting the Qt Creator build into CI, this will probably also clear the way for additional plugins there.

Br, Eike

> Best Regards,
> Tobias
>
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Hugo Parente Lima <hugo.pl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi QtC devs.
>>
>> I'm a C++ developer that 3 years ago started a job with Ruby/Web, so to not
>> loss my C++ skills and to continue to use the IDE I love I started
>> RubyCreator, a plugin to QtC that add support to Ruby on QtC.
>>
>> I use it on my daily work since then and add features when I have time and
>> motivation to do so, Orgad Shaneh help me with patches adapting my plugin to
>> the frequent QtC API changes (since I usually only catch these changes when
>> ArchLinux updates QtC), so he also gave me the suggestion to try to push my
>> plugin upstream, this would:
>>
>> - Reduce the headaches of adapt my code to the frequent QtC API changes.
>> - Solve the problem of windows/mac compilation/distribution.
>> - Have more users :-), some friends of mine use mac and refuse to waste time
>> compiling things.
>>
>> Ok, so I ask you guys if the QtC devs have some interest in accept this
>> plugin upstream, if so, some things need to be adjusted beforehand.
>>
>> - Convert file naming code style to QtC one.
>> - Convert general code style to QtC one (I think it's already done).
>> - Review all the code before let it merged (of course), since I probably
>> missused some QtC API.
>>
>> If there is not interest, I'm fine too, and I'll just keep the development
>> as it is now.
>>
>> Here is more info about the plugin:
>>
>> Outdated webpage: http://hugopl.github.io/RubyCreator/
>> Github project: https://github.com/hugopl/RubyCreator