[Qt-creator] Deploying to Android device fails

Vikas Pachdha vikas.pachdha at qt.io
Thu Sep 28 10:27:06 CEST 2017

Hi Jochen,

You need to downgrade your SDK tools to version 26.0.x.
Unfortunately, the SDK platform parsing is broken with new SDK tools, the fix shall be available with QTC 4.4.1
Just download the SDK tools from the developer.android.com/studio/index.html but do not run “sdkmanager –update” the update will get the new sdk tools and TOBOMK one cannot downgrade the SDK tools.

[“AVD manager UI tool is not available in the installed SDK tools”]
Google remove the UI tool since SDK tools version 26 so if you are keen to use the AVD manger native UI tool then use SDK tools version 25.2.5 or less.

["Deploying Applications to Android Devices" an Ui element "Projects >
    Build Android APK > Details" is mentioned. I cannot find it and also
    the screenshot of the details looks completely different from mine
    which lists "Uninstall previous package", "Reset Default Devices",
    "Clean Temporary Libraries Directory on Device" and "Install Ministro
    from APK" only.”]
“Build Android APK” 	=> Project->Android Kits selected->Build Settings-> Build Android APK
“Deploy configuration” 	=> Project->Android Kits selected->Build Settings-> Deploy configuration

When I press the button "Clean Temporary Libraries Directory
    on Device" QtCreator crashes immediately.
This option is to clear the temp deployment of Qt libraries. Only relevant if you used “Deploy Qt libraries to temporary location” from “Build Android APK” settings. But it should not crash, seems like a bug. It’ll be great if you can send the stack trace.

Please note that you can only use Qt 5.6.3 and Qt 5.9 to develop for Android as Gradle scripts are no longer part of Android SDK 25.3.0 and later and to mitigate this the scripts are delivered with the aforementioned Qt versions only.

Google has the tendency to screw up the tooling every now and then and keeping up with their pace it kind of challenging. I am trying to make the setup process easy and change the Android settings interface so that download and setting up the android environment is one click task. I hope it’s available soon in future QTC releases.

Regards,
Vikas Pachdha.