[Qt-creator] [Development] Requesting repository for telemetry plugin in Qt Creator

Andy asmaloney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 14:54:46 CET 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 8:47 AM, Tuukka Turunen <tuukka.turunen at qt.io>
wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>

> Is that an item to decide at repo creation time or something to address
> later during implementation / code review? For example consider requesting
> a repo for qt/qtcharts – should we have known what data users want to
> visualize with it before having a repository (or only during the
> implementation of the feature)?

I understand where you're coming from, but to me that's a different case.
The whole purpose of this plugin you're describing is to collect data on
user activities. We have to decide if we want to add that capability at all
and it makes sense in this case (to me) to have that discussion before this
is added as a repo.

For me, if this is not an opt-in tool and it doesn't explain exactly what
it's collecting, who gets the data, and how it's used, then I'm absolutely
-1.

> That said, I do agree that we should discuss about the topic if we are to
> collect user analytics data – and to also learn what kind of data is
> valuable to collect (noting that there are strict rules for anything that
> can be considered personal data). My view is that creating the requested
> repository and developing the code in the open is very good for
> transparency and also provides good opportunities for discussion during the
> implementation.
>

> Yours,
>

>                              Tuukka
>

> *From: *Simon Hausmann <Simon.Hausmann at qt.io>
> *Date: *Thursday, 22 February 2018 at 15.26
> *To: *Tuukka Turunen <tuukka.turunen at qt.io>, Tino Pyssysalo <
> tino.pyssysalo at qt.io>, "qt-creator at qt-project.org" <
> qt-creator at qt-project.org>, "development at qt-project.org" <
> development at qt-project.org>
>
> *Subject: *Re: [Development] [Qt-creator] Requesting repository for
> telemetry plugin in Qt Creator
>

> Hi,
>

> Can you provide a bit more information about how this plugin / frontend
> fits into the Qt project? Where is the collected data sent to and how is it
> accessible to the community?
>

> (-1 from me, as I think this needs to be clarified)
>

> Simon

---
Andy Maloney  //  https://asmaloney.com
twitter ~ @asmaloney <https://twitter.com/asmaloney>