[Qt-creator] What's the crash?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Mon Jul 16 16:05:55 CEST 2018

> There's nothing more the debugger or C++ can do for you here.

But it does at the command line:
Process 79112 launched: '/Users/jhihn/Projects/test_crash/a.out' (x86_64)
Process 79112 stopped
* thread #1, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_ARITHMETIC (code=EXC_I386_DIV, subcode=0x0)
    frame #0: 0x0000000100000fad a.out`main at main.c:7
   4   	{
   5   	    int a = 2;
   6   	    int b = 0;
-> 7   	    return a/b;

I'm pretty sure I remember some dialog appearing saying something about SIGSEGV (or in this case EXC_ARITHMETIC)?

MS gives this: https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/10531631/36583169-c65d48ea-1874-11e8-90db-1a651cfd09f5.png
I thought earlier versions of QtC had something simular.

The difference is:

int *a, *b; *b=0;
return *a / *b;

Here, the problem could be that 'a' is out of process space, or 'b' is 0. If 'a' is a pointer, I don't necessarily know what my address range is. I have to deduce (and risk being wrong) what the actual crash was, meaning I could waste time going down the wrong path.