[Qt-creator] Using Qt Creator for legacy ObjectiveC++ project

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Thu Mar 1 09:09:21 CET 2018

Hi, great that you were able to use Qt Creator for that!

A few notes:

QMake has a separate variable for Objective-C/++ sources called  OBJECTIVE_SOURCES. Not sure if it makes a difference in Qt Creator though (or if we only care about the file extension).

I suppose you can get rid of your INCLUDEPATH and links if you set the Sysroot in your kit to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS.sdk

Br, Eike

> On 28. Feb 2018, at 23:29, Henry Skoglund <fromqt at tungware.se> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> reading some recent posts about reusing Qt Creator for other project flavors than Qt/C++, on a lark I decided to try it on my 6 year old ObjectiveC++ LOB app (about 20K SLOC) and it's working great.
>
> I inserted a .pro file with some HEADERS += and SOURCES += in the directory, doubleclicked on it and voila, I can use Qt Creator to edit those old .mm files (I need to rescale the UI for iPhone X and stuff like that). It's a relief not having to work in Xcode, the current version 9.2 sometimes feels like waiting for Deep Thought to answer.
>

> A few things in case someone else endeavors to do the same: to get IntelliSense to work with all the NSxxx types (which is great, then Qt Creator can auto-expand [myString stringByAppendingString:myOtherString] and other similar API calls for you) you need to get #includes like these up and running:
>
> #import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
> #import <UserNotifications/UserNotifications.h>
> #import <MessageUI/MessageUI.h>
>
> because Qt Creator will complain: "not found". I think Xcode does some tweaking with the include paths into /Applications/Xcode to get those #includes to work, here's what I did:
>
> inserted this in the pro file:
>
> INCLUDEPATH = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks
> # (you gotta love Apple for those "simple" directory trees)
>
> and created these symbolic links inside the XCode.app:
>
> cd /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platform/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks
> sudo ln -s CoreData.framework/Headers CoreData
> sudo ln -s Foundation.framework/Headers Foundation
> sudo ln -s MessageUI.framework/Headers MessageUI
> sudo ln -s UIKit.framework/Headers UIKit
> sudo ln -s UserNotificaitons.framework/Headers UserNotifications
>
> Those will probably vanish when Xcode 9.3 or 10.0 arrives, but they're easy to reapply.
>

> The code model still complains about some minor things in XCode's files, currently I have these 2:
>
> "expecting a type" for NSComparator in NSArray.h in line 74:
> - (NSArray<ObjectType> *)sortedArrayUsingComparator:(NSComparator NS_NOESCAPE)cmptr API_AVAILABLE(macos(10.6), ios(4.0), watchos(2.0), tvos(9.0));
>
> "nullability specifier _Nullable" cannot be applied to non-pointer type 'uuid_t' (aka 'unsigned char [16]') in NSUUID.h line 26:
> - (instancetype)initWithUUIDBytes:(const uuid_t _Nullable)bytes;
>
> but I can click that green "Minimize" button in the top right corner to hide those errors and carry on working anyway.
>

> Finally, got one question:
> who's Uncle Bob? (he's listed as one of the Code Model's configurations :-)
>
> Rgrds Henry

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH