[Qt-creator] GSoC 2018: New feature proposal for Qt Creator

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Mon Mar 12 22:33:48 CET 2018

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 4:32 PM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:
>

> 12.03.2018, 15:46, "Orgad Shaneh" <orgads at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Sree Gowtham Josyula <sreegowthamj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi André & Everyone,
>>>
>>> Thanks for showing interest in my suggestion. QTCREATORBUG-16246 is
>>> indeed almost like what I had intended in my previous mail.

>>> I think Network share you suggest is a good idea. It solves both of
>>> the above issues. With network sharing, we wouldn't need rsync and we
>>> wouldn't need to run clang on remote machine.
>>>
>>> I will refine my initial proposal and put forth a more detailed
>>> proposal considering your suggestions and more use-cases asap.
>>> If you have any other thoughts and suggestions, kindly let me know.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I strongly suggest not to use network share. We tried that several years ago (with SMB), and it was awful. Parsing takes forever over the network. Working locally and using rsync before build works much better (once you have ssh keys set up).
>>
>> We have a local partial copy of the sysroot, which includes the include directory, and the shared libraries that are linked with our application (for each platform we support).
>
> Why not to go further and get full copy and toolchain locally?

Network share would in a proper setup be the local disk of the compilation server.

Also, one cannot copy locally the toolchain if the server is different OS, unless a cross compilation environment is setup, which in itself is a major piece of work.

I’d prefer rsync though, as it would be easier to setup the ports/ firewalls etc., plus it would be faster than the network share.   In my hypothetical use-case the compilation server is often in a different country, and VPN would be the only feasible network share setup.

Just my 2 cents,
Harri