[Releasing] configure.exe in source packages for Qt 5.1

Sergio Ahumada sergio.ahumada at digia.com
Wed Apr 3 16:40:33 CEST 2013

Hi,

There some discussions all over the place about having configure.exe in
source packages.

Some people would like to have source packages as close as the git
repository as possible (so not manually adding configure.exe to source
packages) and some others think that it's better to provide the
executable rather than bootstrap it.

Some JIRA tasks related to this are

* https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-28743

  - This is because today we just provide configure.exe in both the .zip
and .7z source packages (naively hoping that windows user will read
http://qt-project.org/downloads)

* https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-26250

  - This is why (as far as I understand) we are shipping configure.exe
binary, we can't just bootstrap it if you try to get the help.
https://codereview.qt-project.org/33983

So the question is:

Should we just document in the KnownIssues wiki page that "configure.bat
--help" doesn't work and we don't provide a pre-built configure.exe in
the source packages, OR should we just accept that source packages do
not contain what's exactly in git.

If we decide the latter, we need to also add configure.exe to .tar.gz
and .tar.xz source packages.

If there is no final decision by the time we start Qt 5.1 beta, then I
guess it will stay as it is today (configure.exe only in .zip and .7z
source packages).

Cheers,
--
Sergio Ahumada