[Accessibility] [Acessibility] Some questions

Andrei Tuicu andrei.tuicu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 00:36:28 CEST 2014

Hello everyone!

My name is Andrei Tuicu and I'm a GSOC student working on accessibility
support for MuseScore. http://musescore.org/

I hope this is the right place to ask this questions. :)

I have some problems with the Qt Accessibility API, maybe some of you can
help me with them.

So first of all, my main problem is that I can't seem to be able to get any
new feedback from the screen reader when calling the
QAccessbile::updateAccessbility static method.

For example, I have a Custom class that inherits QSlider and I'm updating
the value of the slider. Shouldn't this code make the screen-reader tell
the new value of the slider?

      this->setValue(value()+10);

      QAccessibleValueChangeEvent event(this, value());

      QAccessible::updateAccessibility(&event);

Am I doing something wrong here?

Other questions:

1. Must a widget have focus when  QAccessible::updateAccessibility
method is called?

2.   If the answer to the previous question is yes, how can I make the
screen-reader see the informations for QObjets since they can't get
focus?

3. Is there a way to send a string to the screen-reader and say
something like "read this". From what I read through the
documentation, it doesn't seem to be, but I think it would be a nice
addition for sending messages to the user. :)

Thank you!

Best regards,

Andrei Tuicu