[Accessibility] Accessibility Digest, Vol 8, Issue 3

Steve C list15 at trumpton.org.uk
Thu Jan 29 19:03:53 CET 2015

On Thursday 29 January 2015 17:32:15 LUNEAU Fabrice wrote:
> Ok,  just a question..
> To make sure that your inteface is fully accessible, do you turn off
> your display and use NVDA or Jaws ? ;P
> I say it, when an another developpers say me that  work is accessible.
> "Try again without screen"

I would recommend installing a screen-reader - you need to be aware that the
voice and braille outputs are not driven from the same information source, and
there can be scenarios (usually bugs) where one works and the other one
doesn't - so it is good to check both.

Many developers don't have a braille display, but most screen-readers have an
emulator as a bolt-on.  Jaws and Windows Eyes have this feature, but will only
run for a month, then for 20 minutes or so without a reboot (licensing).

NVDA is free, and there is a python add-in you can use to display what would
be on a braille display.  Note that NVDA displays the actual braille, whereas
Jaws and WIndows Eyes show the text as normal characters.

Note also that if you want you application to work with all screen-readers,
you need to test it with more than one.  NVDA is by far the best supported, so
I'd start with that one.

Steve

For the NVDA Braille Vierwe, Copy ...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28976681/brailleViewer.py?dl=1
 ... into brailleDisplayDrivers directory inside the user
configuration directory; e.g. %appdata%\nvda\brailleDisplayDrivers