[Accessibility] QAccessibleEvent not being seen by screen readers

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Jan 17 18:48:23 CET 2020

Hello,

Marc Sabatella, le ven. 17 janv. 2020 08:16:57 -0700, a ecrit:
> I recently a pretty long description of my problem to the Qt forum -  [1]https:
> //forum.qt.io/topic/110464/
> qaccessibilityevent-not-being-seen-by-screen-reader-or-accessibility-insights
> - and was advised to repost on the mailing list.

Indeed, I for one don't monitor web forums, but mailing lists, yes :)

> I'm also checking dbus-monitor on Linux and am pretty sure I am not
> seeing the events, but it's dumping a ton of data and I don't really know what
> it all is.

Note that you can use accerciser's event monitor to get a nicer view
with filtering capabilities.

>  If it helps, here is my lastest code for the
> accessibiity implementation (this reads using NVDA, and with JAWS under Qt
> 5.9.8 but not 5.12): [2]https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore/blob/
> 8b79cad27825ccf02fe5351b19a9094dfefd2b71/mscore/scoreaccessibility.cpp

With a quick look, I see that you use QAccessibleValueChangeEvent, but
"value" has a very particular meaning: it's the value of a spin button
for instance. I guess you want to use something that ends up in the
QAccessible::DescriptionChanged case of e.g. AtSpiAdaptor::notify, so
that screen readers know that it's the description which has changed.

I.e. probably rather something like

QAccessibleEvent vcev(obj, QAccessible::DescriptionChanged);
QAccessible::updateAccessibility(&vcev);

Samuel