[Android-development] Naming of Qt/Android components

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at digia.com
Wed Jan 23 10:36:37 CET 2013

On 01/23/2013 10:26 AM, Paul Olav Tvete wrote:
> Should we change some of the code names inside Necessitas to be more
> descriptive? When I have to do changes that include the java code, I always
> get confused between the different directories that contain similarly named
> classes with the same function names. Here are some of the names I'm thinking
> about:
>
> Quadruplor
> Industrius
> Ministro
> Origo
>
> I know that in a couple of weeks, these names are going to be completely
> natural to me too, but I think that these names will make it more difficult for
> new people to understand the codebase in the future. My suggestion is that we
> change (at least most of) those names to be slightly longer, more descriptive,
> and based on English rather than Latin.
>
> There is a task for changing the "org.kde" brand to "org.qtproject" in the
> java code (QTBUG-29038). If we want to change the component naming, it should
> probably be done at the same time.

I vote for keeping the Ministro name for the classes and Java packages.
It's a general distribution mechanism and at least I have no better
suggestions for what it could be called. Ministro is also already a
brand in the Qt for Android community. The discussion of whether we will
have a single distribution of Ministro in the app stores or whether we
will have a "Qt 5" app as well will be ongoing in the community for a
while, I think, but for Qt 5.1 we've decided to build on the working
environment regardless, since it's always possible to add options later.
In that case, the app will have to be called Ministro since this
changing it will break the existing Android apps that depend on it.

For the others, I vote for more descriptive names:

     Quadruplor becomes org.qtproject.qt5.android.tests
     Industrius becomes org.qtproject.qt5.android
     Origo becomes org.qtproject.qt5.android.bindings

-- Eskil