[Android-development] Android NDK, Revision 9 ramblings.

Ray Donnelly mingw.android at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 02:18:40 CEST 2013

Hello,

Google released "Android NDK, Revision 9" late last week, and it
includes Python GDB integration, so we don't need to recommend or
suggest my NDKs any more for richer debugging. Of note though is that
they deprecated GCC 4.4.3 and 4.7, kept 4.6 and added 4.8. We went
with 4.7 as it's been more reliable than 4.6 in the past. The
deprecated toolchains are now in separate "-legacy-toolchains"
archives (but also contain Python enabled GDBs .. they were rebuilt)

We might want to consider building Qt for Android with a toolchain
that's not marked as deprecated?

>From my initial testing, debugging code built with GCC 4.8 on GDB
7.3.x is not working well (no variables showing up in "Locals and
expressions"), whereas 4.6 is fine. I believe Google plans to move
over to GDB 7.6, so I will make some builds/releases of just GDB 7.6
to see if that works better with GCC 4.8.

Also, Platform-tools 18 was released with an adb.exe (for Windows only
of course) which includes the fork-server fixes so again, my adb.exe
should no longer be recommended.

I've done my testing on Windows so please report any issues you run
into on Linux.

Best regards,

Ray.