[Android-development] Android NDK, Revision 9 ramblings.

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at digia.com
Wed Jul 31 08:59:59 CEST 2013

On 07/31/2013 02:18 AM, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Google released "Android NDK, Revision 9" late last week, and it
> includes Python GDB integration, so we don't need to recommend or
> suggest my NDKs any more for richer debugging. Of note though is that
> they deprecated GCC 4.4.3 and 4.7, kept 4.6 and added 4.8. We went
> with 4.7 as it's been more reliable than 4.6 in the past. The
> deprecated toolchains are now in separate "-legacy-toolchains"
> archives (but also contain Python enabled GDBs .. they were rebuilt)
>
> We might want to consider building Qt for Android with a toolchain
> that's not marked as deprecated?
>
> >From my initial testing, debugging code built with GCC 4.8 on GDB
> 7.3.x is not working well (no variables showing up in "Locals and
> expressions"), whereas 4.6 is fine. I believe Google plans to move
> over to GDB 7.6, so I will make some builds/releases of just GDB 7.6
> to see if that works better with GCC 4.8.
>
> Also, Platform-tools 18 was released with an adb.exe (for Windows only
> of course) which includes the fork-server fixes so again, my adb.exe
> should no longer be recommended.
>
> I've done my testing on Windows so please report any issues you run
> into on Linux.

For the binary packages, I'm hoping we can move to GCC 4.8, which
hopefully contains the bug fixes that fix armv5-compilation. The binary
packages are built in release mode anyway, so the debug information
might not be as relevant. We also need a sane default in Creator, though.

I'll do some testing on Linux. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

-- Eskil