[Android-development] On False Promises ...

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Tue Jan 7 09:25:15 CET 2014

On 7 Jan 2014, at 8:50 AM, Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt wrote:

> The examples are only contained in the desktop build currently, even in the mobile packages. This is a packaging oddity, but I guess it kind of ties in with your suggestion that examples be removed completely from the Android kits until they were verified one by one. Currently there are no examples in the Qt for Android directory in the package, and when we put examples in there it should definitely be a verified list of things that are suitable for showing off Qt for Android.

I thought the plan was to move examples out of the arch-specific subdirectories at some point, e.g. have path/to/Qt/5.x.x/examples instead of path/to/Qt/5.x.x/gcc_64/examples.  On OSX, we have both Qt/5.2.0/ios/examples and Qt/5.2.0/clang_64/examples, which has something to do with the fact that creator needs to build the iOS examples statically and the others dynamically; but this wastes some disk space, so I hope it's a temporary workaround.  Neither the selection of examples nor their source code are modified, but the directory structure might lead you to believe that it is.

Anyway if you go to the examples on the Creator Welcome screen, some examples have an android tag (see the list of tags under each thumbnail).  If you click on one of the android tags it will put tag:"android" as a search criterion so that you see the examples which have been deemed appropriate for android.  So we can consider it a bug if some examples which don't work well are tagged that they do work on android, and we can talk about whether the filtering should be chosen by default when you choose a kit, but at least there is a filter already.