[Android-development] QtPositioning: get separately GPS and GLONASS coordinates

Blasche Alexander Alexander.Blasche at digia.com
Wed May 28 11:24:42 CEST 2014

The API does not allow you to do that. I have yet to find a platform that actually allows you to choose the specific satellite system to be used. The position engine on mobile devices wants to increase the accuracy and reduce the time-to-fix time as much as possible. To achieve that they always combine all satellite system data they can find.

The only thing you can do is to find out what systems were used to obtain the current fix. This can be done via QGeoSatelliteInfo's prn value.

On the other hand if your mobile/embedded device's hardware/software stack only processes GLONASS then it's platform API would only offer such data. Since the QtPositioning API only offers whatever the platform API offers QPositionInfo would only offer GLONASS based data on such GLONASS-only devices too.

In principle most platforms (e.g. Android) provide the concept of multiple providers. I guess you could separate them which in turn would allow Qt to do that. However this approach would require changes to just about all software stack layers (including Qt).

--

Alex