[Android-development] Qt DRM (Digital rights management)

Petar Koretić petar.koretic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 20:27:10 CET 2014

Hi everyone.

If I should post this to general list or somewhere else please let me know.

I am interested if somebody already did some work regarding DRM integration
on android. I did found http://radekp.github.io/qtmoko/api/qtdrmmodule.html.
It's third-party module and I can see is not much maintained anymore and I
don't expect it working on android.

In the post http://www.kdab.com/future-qt-android-looks-bright I also see
some fundamental changes which as far I can see are coming in Qt 5.4 and is
mentioned by Bogdan that current implementation "makes it impossible for Qt
to use the android native media video player, which is (seems to be?)
required to play DRM videos."

There are third-party plugins for android that provide this functionality
and integrate into native java code. So for the past week I've been looking
into integrating required functionality into the android java code of qt. I
can see in the source that qt android player is wrapper around the android
native player so it seems possible to me to integrate android specific code
as one would do in regular java code more or less. Did somebody tried that?
Is that way to go?

I am of course also interested in existing solutions. Is there some DRM
solution which integrates with Qt on android? Is this something that would
be helped being solved by using commercial licence of qt and support and
who to contact about that?

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,
Petar