[Android-development] QT Android bindings for Service

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at theqtcompany.com
Mon Mar 2 15:45:50 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 03:46 PM, Cory Slep ARA/SED wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am part of a team porting a Qt 5.4 Windows/Linux augmented reality
> application to Android. We have successfully ported it as an Activity
> rendering to the device screen. However, we have a requirement to
> render to an external display only (not the device display) because we
> need to have a third-party application running on and rendering to the
> device at the same time. Thus our application needs to run in the
> background but with Qt actively rendering.
>
> Currently there seems to only be bindings for QtApplication and
> QtActivity, though searching yielded other attempts such as
> https://github.com/think-free/qt-android-helper/tree/master/android/src/org/qtproject/qt5/android/addons/qtserviceapp
> which contains two bindings in particular we are interested in:
> QtService and QtServiceBroadcastReceiver. I realize having an Android
> Service do rendering may be an unusual use case but having this
> capability is critical for us.
>
> Since this is an issue on our team that we must overcome, it would be
> nice to not have a hacked-up-kludge on our end. Has anyone else given
> thought on supporting bindings for Services? Would it be in the Qt
> project’s interest to have this capability? Is there interest in
> coordinating to develop this capability?
>
> A very cursory glance over the archives does not yield an obvious
> previous discussion about this.

Hi,

I've looked a bit at this already, but would not mind if someone else
picked it up. The main issue will be the case where you have both an
activity and a service running with Qt, and either of them (or both) can
be active at any time. For your use case it sounds like you will only
have the service running in the process, which means this will be more
straight-forward, I think.

Bug report with discussion etc. here:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-37221

-- Eskil