[Android-development] Using Qt libs in native android app

Shrikant Dhumal teck.shri at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:28:25 CET 2015

Hello there,

I have an unusual situation in terms of how one uses Qt API.

I have a native Android App (implemented using Android SDK) and I am
replacing its business logic using Qt API. I do not want to change my UI
that is written using native Android Java classes.

I plan to use some of the Qt backend classes (that is a requirement) so, I
intend to use only QtCore (no UI or other Qt module).

One of the backend class I intend to use is, QStandardPaths.
When I call following API's I get empty strings
QStandardPaths::standardLocations(QStandardPaths::AppLocalDataLocation);

QStandardPaths::standardLocations(QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation);

QStandardPaths::standardLocations(QStandardPaths::AppConfigLocation);

However, when I tried same API in Qt Android examples, I am getting
non-null paths.

When I looked into the code of QStandardPaths for Android to understand the
implementation, I realized that the QStandardPaths relies on presence of Qt
activity class that is part of QPA (on Android). Is my understanding
correct?

Note: getExternalFilesDir() method uses "QtAndroidPrivate::activity()" and
"applicationContext()" to determine the paths.

Is there a means to successfully use Qt backend classes in a native Android
App?

- Shrikant D