[Android-development] Dropping support for Android 15 and below in Qt 5.7, Was: Compiling latest Qt for Android, obsolete SDK versions required?

Eskil A. Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 23 12:48:01 CEST 2015

Hi,

I've wanted to bring this up for a while: I propose to make Qt 5.7
depend on Android 16 (Android 4.1) as a minimum. Qt 5.6 is a long term
supported release, and all versions < 16 combined are already at less
than 10% of active devices, so I think it makes sense.

Any opinions?

On 14. okt. 2015 07:38, Harri Pasanen wrote:

> However, not all of those are any longer available for download via
> Android manager, 11 seems to be missing.
>
> Personally I'd be happy to drop support for anything below API 19 for
> future versions.

A quick note to that: Those are required for building Qt itself, not Qt
applications.

Android 11 is available by ticking the "obsolete packages" checkbox in
the installer. The reason it was made that way was that we attempted to
make the default to build with the lowest possible SDK, as this would
help us in preventing breaks on older devices. As time passed, we've
added new features which for some reason or other required using a newer
SDK, and at this point the whole system is too complex to be useful, but
no one has had the time to rewrite it to just use the latest available
SDK yet. It's possible to override the default with an environment
variable, though (ANDROID_API_VERSION should work).

-- Eskil