[Android-development] android: android actionbar appears and never hides when calling openOptionsMenu

maitai maitai at virtual-winds.org
Sun Apr 24 19:36:23 CEST 2016

Hello,

Using Qt 5.6 (widget), I have a tablet android 5.1.1 without any
physical buttons (Danew Dslide 1014). In my app I have a button that
triggers openOptionsMenu(). When the menu appears, strangely the android
action bar appears over the application, at the bottom. The problem is
that when the options menu gets closed the actionBar stays there and
there is no way to get it hidden, apart from sending the app to the
background and showing it again. To make things worst, Qt (mainWindow)
doesn't resize to make room for the actionBar, so some elements are
under it and not accessible anymore after that.

I set the theme to Theme_Holo_NoActionBar_Fullscreen before onCreate,
using super.setTheme(), QT_ANDROID_THEMES and QT_ANDROID_DEFAULT_THEME.

All this is working fine on devices with a physical home button (the
majority).

I've spend the last 2 days trying to close this actionBar from my
activity (derived from QtActivity), no luck. getActionBar() is returning
NULL, and trying
Class.forName("android.app.ActionBar").getMethod("hide").invoke(getActionBar());
doesn't work either.

Any help would be really welcomed

Regards,
Philippe Lelong