[Android-development] Anatomy of a Qt 5 for Android application

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Thu Jan 28 15:58:44 CET 2016

> Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM
> From: "Fabrice Salvaire" <fabrice.salvaire at orange.fr>
> To: android-development at qt-project.org
> Subject: [Android-development] Anatomy of a Qt 5 for Android application
>
> Dear all,
>
> I read the blog post of Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt
> https://blog.qt.io/blog/2013/07/23/anatomy-of-a-qt-5-for-android-application/
> and I am not sure to understand this sentence
> "At this point, your application takes over and can run in its thread
> with no regard to the origin of the input events it is getting."
>
> Does it mean a Qt application on Android is made of two threads where
> the Java thread forwards all events (like touch events) to the Qt
> thread? In other words, an application on Android must run in a Java
> container and we have an overhead due to this architecture: Kernel C >
> Java VM > Java Thread / Native Thread.
>
> I found any discussion on the Qt doc on the architecture impact on
> mobile devices.

I'm with you. I've been reading it and I'm still not clear on a lot of things, and I've done Android development. But I am the type of person who wants to exactly know all the details before proceeding. A walkthrough with a skeleton app would be appreciated.

To answer your questions though, yes, the Qt app on android is 2 threads, a java thread and the native thread. I've been told that because of this, you can continue to run the the background without having to do the usual Android background service stuff? Can anyone confirm that?