[Android-development] Warm application start time

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 19:03:10 CEST 2016

We just do optimizations on start time of our application last week. And we
have good results now, but it's still few seconds.
But I still have tested in full release mode (obb packaging,...).

If you are doing a full GUI application (without 3D,...), you may want to
look QtQuickControls 2.0 that are much faster than the v1.0.
And If you are creating your own components you may want write them in C++
if their are really complexe to optimize their instancing time.
This link may help you to understand some performances issues :
http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/03/31/qt-quick-controls-for-embedded/

We are using webp image, it's faster than png to load, close to jpg time as
I know.
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/

> Hi,
>
> I have also this problem. It becomes serious for applications who needs to
> wake up frequently like messaging app.
> Indeed Loader solves a lot.
>
> But when your application is in background and user use others
> applications (such a shame, he should use only yours !), you still have 1
> or 2 seconds of loading.
> I'm not sure about it, I have to try it, or maybe someone can correct me :
> but it looks like all PNG files in the main qrc file are loaded at the
> begining. Do we should put them in a second qrc file loaded after the first
> one ?
> I say that because i have many "PNG_doEncode" in console during this

>> Hi,
>>
>> If you are using QML you may have to use Loaders to avoid loading of GUI
>> parts that are not displayed directly.
>> You can also take a look to the QtQuick compiler to improve qml loading.
>> There is a profiler on QtCreator for QML which can help you to find your
>> binding that are slow, be sure to not having binding loops.

>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to optimize start time of my android application. For now I'm
>>> interested in warm start time
>>> when the user presses back and quickly returns to the app. If we
>>> consider java application the
>>> warm start is faster, it seems like android caches something or so.
>>> But it does not work for Qt applications. My application spends constant
>>> time for each start, even if I closed it a second ago.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to optimize warm start of Qt application?
>>> Any hints are highly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sergey

>> --