[Android-development] Hide Android selection handles manually

Bernhard B schluchti at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:30:48 CET 2017

Hello,

during the Qt 5.8 Beta I stumbled accross a few problems regarding the
newly introduced selection handles (see
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-34867).

Unfortunately those problems still exist in Qt 5.8. As I really would need
a working text selection I thought about fixing the problems myself. The
biggest problem at the moment for me is, that the selection handles are not
disappearing. That means, once a selection handle is popping up, it never
disappears again.

I think that I can improve the usuability a lot when I manually hide the
selection handle when there is absolutely no need for it (for example when
the user is typing). My idea is now, that I use JNI to call a Java function
from C++ and expose that function to QML so that I can call it when there
is a need (e.q someone is typing text).

The problem now is, that I don't know how to accomplish that easily. I
already looked in the code diff (see
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/142466/) and found the hide() method
in the CursorHandle.java which looks really promissing, but I am not sure
how I can get the CursorHandle with JNI.

Maybe someone of you can give me a hint on how to do that.

Thanks for your time,
Bernhard