[Automotive] [agl-discussions] Introduce Qt IVI layer (meta-qt5-ivi)

Stephen Lawrence stephen.lawrence at renesas.com
Tue Jun 14 18:27:23 CEST 2016

Hi Phong,

Looks interesting. Thank you for sharing.

One question from reading the Readme. I see it does not use the existing meta-qt5 layer [1].
Whilst trying to avoid drawing you into politics could you summarise technically why your layer
has its own base Qt 5 parts? From a quick look the two layers seem to have a somewhat different focus
and you've provided recipes presumably for just what you need.

I am not thinking so much about a feature by feature comparison but the practicalities about
layer architecture and adoption. To give one example the Genivi Development Platform (GDP)
uses [1] for the base Qt 5 parts for its Qt based HMI. So if say someone wanted to adopt your work
into GDP the question arises as to how best to do that. Adopting your Qt5 layer instead for the base Qt5
raises questions of maintenance going forward and whether all requirements are met, whilst just adopting
the apps/HMI (I realise I am probably simplifying there) means masking out parts for it to work on [1].

[1] https://github.com/meta-qt5/meta-qt5

Regards

Steve