[Development] Qt Project Infrastructure Work

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Dec 1 20:13:52 CET 2011

Hi,

I attended the Qt Contributor Day in San Francisco [1], and talked a
little about infrastructure for the Qt project. At Kitware we have
been building on the topic branch functionality developed for the Qt
project, adding features and fixing bugs we found in a branch
available on Github [2].

I have added a page to kick off the process of collaborating on
infrastructure projects [3]. I would like to kick off the process of
effectively collaborating on some of the tools we need to enhance the
Qt project, and am thinking of things like Gerrit for code review,
JIRA, CI integration and testing as well as domain specific debugging
tools like Gamma Ray.

I am particularly interested in how we can enhance Gerrit, effectively
using topic branches in the code review process with CI integration
and static analysis to do as much as possible to verify the code
before a reviewer spends much time reviewing the code. I added my
name, and hope others interested in this area would add themselves
along with their areas of interest.

We intend to work with the Gerrit developers to upstream the topic
review functionality, and would like to work with the Qt project. We
have a Gerrit instance at Kitware, and share many similar goals for
code review and CI integration. I look forward to hearing from others
interested in enhancing the tools and infrastructure to enhance the Qt
project and its software processes.

Marcus

[1] https://wiki.qt-project.org/Qt_Contributors_Day
[2] https://github.com/cjh1/gerrit/tree/topic_views