[Development] Adding QML to qmake variables

Tomasz Siekierda sierdzio at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 21:23:14 CET 2011

Hi,

working on some QML project now (my, I haven't suspected that Qt Quick
is THAT gorgeous... wow, thank you, Trolls, for making it!), an idea
struck me, that there is no variable in QMake to add QML files to the
project. While I am aware, that both DEPLOYMENTFOLDERS and OTHER_FILES
can be used to do just that, I feel QML deserves a separate keyword
just as much as source, headers, ui files do.

Now, this is not just about a keyword being there, there are 2 things
I have in mind here:
a) it would make Qt Creator show QML files in project (and maybe JS files, too?)
b) it would take care to copy those files during build (much like
DEPLOYMENTFOLDERS do, although this variable is not available in
official documentation, as far as I can see)

Alternatively, b) option could be added to OTHER_FILES.

Any thoughts? Good/ moderate/ insane idea? Or maybe it was already
discussed and rejected (a quick search did not give me any positive
results here).

Sadly, I have no experience in QMake development, so I won't be able
to help in implementation much, at least not without some initial
guidance (where to start).

Cheers,
sierdzio

PS. Blimey, I've just checked, and OTHER_FILES is also not documented...