[Development] QtNetwork changes from QtDD SF 2011

Jonas Gastal jgastal at profusion.mobi
Tue Dec 6 16:56:18 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Alexis Menard
<alexis.menard at openbossa.org>wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, 6 de December de 2011 12.24.11, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> >> Another interesting thing to note is that AFAIU with WebKit 2 there can
> >> be multiple web processes per application, all using the same cache (and
> >> cookie jar), so we would need to make the cache usable by several
> >> applications at the same time.
> >>
> >> Maybe Webkit people can elaborate or know how other ports do that...
> >
> > That's a slightly different problem. With WebKit 2, we have different
> processes,
> > so different instances of QAbstractNetworkCache. The problem then is not
> > make the class be thread-safe, but to make the cache methodology be
> multi-
> > process-safe.
>
> Yes, that's what we need.
>

> > For example, you cannot use QMutex. You need to make it safe against
> another
> > process reading or writing to the cache at the same time without using
> the
> > normal threading primitives.
>
> Exactly.

Sorry if this is a stupid point, but there is a pretty standard mechanism
for
multiprocess "mutexes" in the form of ".lock" files. Isn't this an obvious
and
acceptable solution(to that part of the issue)? They have the same up/down
sides of actual mutexes.

Gastal.