[Development] How to create new Qt modules or tools

henry.haverinen at nokia.com henry.haverinen at nokia.com
Fri Dec 9 18:16:50 CET 2011

Hi Robin,

> From: robin at viroteck.net [mailto:robin at viroteck.net] On Behalf Of ext
> Robin Burchell

> > Agree with a Qt maintainer that s/he will approve your new playground
> > project
>
> Can we agree that this approval should be done on development@? That
> way, the discussion around the suggestion is visible and (if needed) someone
> could raise concerns, point out areas of interest like past research, etc. I don't
> think that would end up too verbose, after alll, this shouldn't happen too
> often.
>

> Having these on a list also mirrors the structure for approval nomination.

I think it'd be important to keep the barrier very low. It should be possible to start competing or crazy projects. So this approval from a Maintainer shouldn't usually require a lot of discussion, and it shouldn't be necessary for someone to object to creating playground projects. But I agree it'd be good to have an opportunity to see the initial discussion.

How do others see this?

> > Send your request for a new Playground project (including project name
> and description) to the Qt maintainer from whom you have pre-approval.
> > CC to sergio.ahumada at nokia.com and Gerrit Expert Group (email address
> TBD).
>
> I think I'd prefer to see this on an infra@ type list, again, so people can keep
> informed (if they want), and there's no need to change CCs and get outdated
> information over time. There's also then an archive of this stuff happening,
> which is usually a good thing.

The Gerrit Expert Group mailing list was intended to work as an archive. It doesn't exist yet.

Sergio, I guess you'll be on that list anyway, so we could simplify this to just sending the emal to the list and to the approving maintainer?

Cheers,
Henry