[Development] Removing QtWebkit from gerrit (& qt5.git)

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Tue Dec 13 12:34:00 CET 2011

On Dec 13, 2011, at 2:26 AM, Rohan McGovern wrote:

> Robin Burchell said:
>> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:20 AM, Rohan McGovern
>> <rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately the qtwebkit pointed at by qt5.git is outdated and known
>>> not to work.

True, which we plan to improve very soon.

>> Given that webkit is developed upstream inside webkit.org, I'd second
>> that there's no reason having it there, aside perhaps from CI, though
>> AFAIK they have their own infrastructure for this.

Well yes and no. We have our own stuff for sure (LayoutTests) but we want for example our API tests to be run as part as the CI, for at least one good reason : people breaking us. Today we always have to run after the guilty person/patch. With Qt5 and WK2 our API tests are well defined, maintained and we try to keep them as stable as possible. And yes breakages they happen as we rely on scenegraph/qml quite a lot.

>> As qtwebkit adds hugely to cloning qt5 (unless you remember to disable
>> it), as well as the frequent build problems for people new to Qt 5
>> etc, is there any real objection to it being removed? Who can make
>> that decision (I guess Lars?), and who would handle doing that?

The clone process will be the same as Qt4 at the end. We cut a lot of stuff when merging into Qt4 back then.
And a good part of the slowness is also the fault of gitorious. Most of QtWebKit dev uses github or some mirrors.

Torarne may be a good person to talk to before doing such a change. We didn't have time to implement anything because just like some part of Qt5, WK2/QtWebKit is going through a big rewrite. That said we'll find time to see how we integrate in the CI and in the Qt5 buildsystem.