[Development] Spelling of module names in documentation

henry.haverinen at nokia.com henry.haverinen at nokia.com
Thu Dec 15 08:52:28 CET 2011

Hi all,

Thanks Thiago, Lars, Atlant and others. I updated the wiki page according to this discussion:
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Spelling_Module_Names_in_Qt_Documentation

To make this clear, the wiki page lists all the module names that have been discussed for Qt 5.0 so far. I'm copying the guideline here:

The recommendation for consistent and readable spelling of module names in the documentation is as follows:
* Use the Qt prefix. Instead of "Core", write *Qt Core*.
* Spell all words separated by white space and start all words with a capital letter. For example *Qt Service Framework*
* Acronyms and established names spelled in their standard format, for example *Qt SQL*, *Qt XML Patterns*, *Qt D-Bus*
* Don't use the module repository names qtbase, qtsystems, qtpim or qtconnectivity in the documentation. Instead, you should refer directly to the individual modules in those repositories.
* If the module name includes words like "and", they can be omitted in the source code name: *Qt Publish and Subscribe* is QtPublishSubscribe in the code
* Avoid abbreviations, because it is hard to be consistent with their usage. If you cannot avoid them, then make sure you use them consistently in the code and documentation. For example, since the source code spelling is QtSystemInfo, the documentation name should be *Qt System Info*, not Qt System Information. And since the source code spelling is QtJsonDb, the documentation name is *Qt JSON DB*, not "Qt JSON Database".

Cheers,
Henry