[Development] V8's location

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Tue Dec 20 15:18:29 CET 2011

On Monday, December 12, 2011 10:30:31 you wrote:
> Stephen Kelly said:

> > > Since they don't seem to have an opinion, can we please move it to
> > > top-level inside qt5.git?
> > >
> > > I've just caught a bad commit in my tree that updates the commit
> > > link to v8 and I'm trying to fix it with an interactive rebase.
> >
> > Bump. This is a recurring problem with newcomers trying to build qtbase.
> > They don't know to do the git submodule magic or use -no-v8, so the
> > build fails.
> I think this can be easily mitigated by having qmake check if the
> sources exist, rather than simply assuming that they do.
> e.g. http://codereview.qt-project.org/10934 .

This apparently didn't work.

At least, I've just had someone else fail to build Qt because

./configure -nomake examples -nomake demos -nomake tests  -opensource -
confirm-license

failed to create a top-level Makefile. People don't read error messages that
don't terminate the script and that still leave this message at the end:

Qt is now configured for building. Just run 'make'.
Once everything is built, you must run 'make install'.
Qt will be installed into /usr/local/Qt-5.0.0

If v8 is to remain a submodule of qtbase (I still don't see why), and you want
to make ./configure report an error, you'll have to terminate the script when
you encounter the error and make sure not to print a message saying 'Just run
make'.

Especially because the current error message is still output when -no-v8 *is*
used.

https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-23206

So the person seeing the error message has to know whether they can ignore it
or not. Not useful. Rather than fix the script, it's probably easier to just
remove the submodule and fix all the problems associated with it at once.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer