[Development] Qt Commercial 4.8.0 release delta to LGPL version

David Faure david.faure at kdab.com
Tue Dec 20 15:22:13 CET 2011

On Tuesday 20 December 2011 11:18:21 lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> On 12/16/11 8:37 PM, "ext David Faure" <david.faure at kdab.com> wrote:
> >On Thursday 15 December 2011 11:21:41 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> >> So now there is total of 108 improvements and bug fixes available in Qt
> >> Commercial 4.8.0 that are not part of the LGPL release.
> >
> >While I understand the reasons, I want to state that this is going to
> >make
> >support a mess.
> >
> >Both versions are called 4.8.0, but do not contain the same code.
> >
> >So when someone says "With Qt-4.8.0 I have the following issue", it will
> >never
> >be clear which 4.8.0 this is about, we'll have to educate everyone to say
> >in
> >addition if this is 4.8.0-LGPL or 4.8.0-Commercial. Couldn't the version
> >number be different, when the code is different, instead? E.g. 4.8.0c.
> >That
> >doesn't fit into the numerical QT_VERSION, but at least qmake -query and
> >every
> >other location which shows a qt version number (packages, qt creator,
> >etc.)
> >would show clearly 4.8.0c instead of 4.8.0.
>
> To some extent Linux distributions have always done that as well, and I
> still remember something called qt-copy in KDEŠ ;-)

I see no relation at all. qt-copy was for the convenience of kde developers,
definitely not for anyone else to build upon.
And, there was nobody selling support for it, either.

And, there was a #define to distinguish it from upstream qt, allowing ifdefs if
necessary.

--
David Faure | david.faure at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090