[Development] Patches in JIRA (Was: (no subject))

Alan Alpert alan.alpert at nokia.com
Wed Dec 21 08:16:03 CET 2011

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:52:54 ext Craig.Scott at csiro.au wrote:
> On 21/12/2011, at 5:14 PM, Robin Burchell wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 2:57 AM,  <Craig.Scott at csiro.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> I know I'll probably be shot down immediately, but.....
> >>
> >> This is one of the more annoying things about the changes that have been
> >> going on with Qt.

[...]
> > [ that having been said, I agree that it's really annoying, but I
> > can't really see a nice method to solve this, other than possibly
> > directing them to accept the CLA on gerrit the first time they upload
> > a patch to JIRA, but that's going to require customisations.. and in
> > the end, it's probably better to focus on streamlining the
> > contribution & review process we have first ]
>
> I'd actually suggest the reverse. I would hope that it would be a
> relatively non-disruptive change to make JIRA aware of who has accepted
> the CLA and who hasn't. It should be possible to do this without any
> developers having to know about it. If that is done, then there are no
> more steps required to allow anyone who wants to submit a patch to do so.
> In contrast, getting the contribution process in place for gerrit looks
> like more work and targets a smaller number of users (everyone could
> submit a patch, but only those willing to learn the process would submit
> via gerrit).

Even if it's an easy change, do we even want those patches via JIRA? For
trivial patches  I don't think the CLA applies anyways, for non-trivial
patches there needs to be discussion and code-review (and CI at the very
least). Gerrit is what does this for us at the moment, and it's much better
suited for it than JIRA.

I can't imagine that there are many high-quality, large submissions, all ready
to merge, from a submitter that doesn't know git/gerrit yet. If gerrit really
is that hard to use, wouldn't it be better (and probably easier) to fix gerrit
than duplicate its functionality in JIRA?

--
Alan Alpert
Senior Engineer