[Development] Deprecation of qMalloc/qFree/qRealloc

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Wed Dec 21 17:01:13 CET 2011

On 12/21/2011 07:26 AM, Robin Burchell wrote:
> Hi,

> ways to accomplish this as the commit message notes, and it's rather
> unfair to impose an additional function call on all uses of these for
> something which isn't used in the majority of cases.

Hi,

my two cents here. If code is calling out to malloc/new you are already on the
slow path and the time will be dominated by the real malloc anyway. I have not
seen a performance problem that went away/got better by patching out
qMalloc/qFree. In case it would become one, on ELF one can probably use
aliases declarations or the recent 'ifunc' to have it resolved to the real
malloc implementation. I don't think qMalloc/qFree is a burden.

cheers
	holger