[Development] My Android QhrisTma5 wish list.

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Thu Dec 29 23:28:45 CET 2011

Depending on the level of platform differences between the three Android versions, we might be able to use the exclusive builds implementations, which we use for debug + release build on windows. We've already used it for 32bit/64bit in combination with debug + release, to give a 4x combo.

Nothing's impossible :-)

--
Sent from my Nokia N9On 12/29/11 15:41 Sorvig Morten (Nokia-MP/Oslo) wrote:

On Dec 22, 2011, at 9:20 PM, ext BogDan wrote:

>  - Menus, on android the menu bar is completely different from other platforms
> , it is always hidden, and to make it visible the user must press the menu
> button. Currently there is no way to do it, because QMenuBar is a widget and
> even more is part of your application window.

Good news here, Qt 5 will soon have a MenuBar/Menu/MenuItem API that platforms can implement to "take over" menu handling. Currently we only have desktop platforms on the implementors list, so adding a mobile platform to the mix would be great to ensure we get a good API.

>  - QMake build system. Android supports more than one platform bundled into
> your application package (currently they are three platforms), android build
> system compiles this platforms at once, sadly qmake build system doesn't
> support this feature. QMake is ok for most of the platforms out there but for
> Android it needs more love. Somebody blogged about a new  build system [1],
> and I must confess that I was very impressed by the approach, but sadly, two
> years latter, nothing happened ... This is a very important feature for this
> port, without it we can never say we have a *complete* port for Android.

I've seen this problem before, for Qt 4 we did some configure script work to allow compiling for 32/64-bit ppc/x86 on Mac OS X (with the help of apple-gcc, which can produce binaries for several targets simultaneously.)

For Qt 5 I'm thinking that a better option is to set up multiple Qt builds and then create a deployment utility that can create the final package. Have you considered implementing something like this?

Morten