[Development] 4.8 Build failing on Mac OS 10.7 / XCode 4.2

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Tue Nov 1 15:13:37 CET 2011

On 31 Oct 2011, at 23:24, ext Alexis Menard wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:08 PM,  <eike.ziller at nokia.com> wrote:

>>> For *your* use case. Normal and default cases work as the CI and other
>>> reports say.

>>> It's a primary platform but an exotic build setup.

>>> Which I believe it is hard to find. I would have close the bug myself.
>>> The command line option that the test case passes -arch x86 -arch
>>> x86_64 is part of the so called "combination of command lines we can't
>>> support". It perhaps worked before but with WebCore growing everyday
>>> that was pure luck.
>>
>> Calling the abitlity to build 32+64bit fat binaries "pure luck" is a bit funny (and feels a bit offensive to me), since we always provided universal 32bit+64bit binary packages for Mac on qt.nokia.com/downloads, up to 4.7.4.
>
> Was not meant to be be offensive. You have to keep in mind that what
> ships in 4.7 is at least a good year old WebKit and it is much bigger
> now.
>

>> Also, universal binaries are quite common on Mac. Btw, even Safari comes in the form of a universal 32+64bit binary (at least on snow leopard) ;)
>>
>> Anyhow, it looks like the problem is not the combination of "-arch x86 -arch x86_64" but the combination of "-debug_and_release -arch x86 -arch x86_64". Which I think would be acceptable. (I just checked that "-release -arch x86 -arch x86_64" works for me.)
>
> Debug build of WebKit are always problematic as it requires a lot of
> RAM to link for example (read at least 8GB), on Linux it may kill the
> linker sometimes because it runs out of memory.

> Debug build of WebKit
> are to use only if really needed.

That reminds me: Wasn't there a time where debug was off by default for QtWebKit even when doing a debug build of Qt? Where's that gone?
I suppose the main problem is that doing the perceived trivial thing "./configure -arch x86 -arch x86_64 && make" fails to build.
Afair Qt didn't build webkit in debug by default, and you could enable debug for webkit with a separate configure switch.
Default compile/link time and disk space/RAM consumption would be much reduced too, in that case.

Btw, here's a visualization of *how* big webkit actually got within Qt (debug): http://imagebin.org/181891

++ Eike