[Development] Other buildsystems

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 1 18:31:02 CET 2011

On Tuesday, 1 de November de 2011 17:44:29 André Pönitz wrote:
> A non-optional dependency on cmake for Qt 5.0 is not acceptable from my
> perspective.

Nor mine.

Quoting André from IRC: a dependency on a buildsystem is acceptable if and
only if it's the buildsystem that the codebase is built with.

A few more considerations:
 1) if (or hopefully, when) we switch away from qmake, we should strive to
    maintain qmake compatibility for a while, but not increase our burden by
    having too much burden.

 2) should all modules in qt5.git use the same buildsystem? I'd say that all
    those enabled by that repository's buildsystem should use the same
    buildsystem. However, for purposes of housekeeping and QA, submodule links
    to repositories with other buildsystems is permitted. Note we haven't
    discussed rules about adding or removing submodule links to addons yet.

 3) should modules hosted in qt-project.org use the same buildsystem? Not
   sure, but I'd guess the answer is "no".

 4) Qt addons hosted elsewhere use whatever buildsystem their maintainers want
    to use.