[Development] Installing Qt5Config.cmake from the Qt repo?

Craig.Scott at csiro.au Craig.Scott at csiro.au
Tue Nov 1 23:52:15 CET 2011

On 02/11/2011, at 1:44 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:

On Friday, October 28, 2011 13:13:20 Stephen Kelly wrote:

== Clarification ==

To avoid misunderstanding:

* This proposal is not about porting the Qt build system to CMake.
* This would not make Qt depend on CMake at all
* I am proposing to add some plain text files to the Qt repo for
installation * Those plain text files would need to be generated while
building Qt (using existing mechanisms, like perl).

In the branch, I do depend on cmake at configure-time to generate the Targets
files. These are platform specific files that cmake uses to build against
libraries in debug and release versions.

I would like to add this non-optional configure time dependency on cmake to Qt.

If you do that, you create a circular dependency, since CMake requires Qt to build its GUI application. Yes, you could build CMake's command line tools only, then Qt, then build CMake's GUI app, or alternatively you could install some previously built CMake package before building Qt, but these are steps that should not be necessary. In my particular case, it would also convolute how we build standardised tools packages for our developers, something that I'd personally like to avoid.

--
Dr Craig Scott
Computational Software Engineering Team Leader, CSIRO (CMIS)